Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Week 12: Easter & the Esther Project

He is risen indeed! What a way to rejoice in that! I have to say, I have never experienced Easter like this. Every moment of this weekend, and even this week, pointed to Him and his sacrificial love for us.
Natalih is full of joy and laughter.
I’m going to start by explaining what the Esther project was. All crew members who commit to serving more than one year, have to complete onboarding. This is what I will be doing this summer. As part of onboarding, the teams do three weeks of hands on, in country missions work. For the last four onboarding groups, they have gone to Akany Avoko, a foster home/orphanage in Tana, the capital. The lady in charge of onboarding has had a dream to bring some of these girls to the ship. Several things came together and her dream was finally realized this weekend! They paid for 50 of the girls to come to the ship and spend Easter with us. They called this the Esther project. Interestingly (and not knowing this), our chaplaincy has focused on the book of Esther for the 7 weeks leading up to Easter, encouraging the crew to read through the book of Esther each week and talking about where we can find God in a book where He is never mentioned by name. God was at work in so many ways in this project – for example, when trying to figure out sleeping arrangements, they decided the girls would sleep in one of our warehouses, and when searching for mattresses, they discovered that the HOPE Center had spare mattresses (in case a cyclone came and crew needed to get off the ship), and it turned out that they had exactly the number of mattresses needed.

I was so excited for the girls to arrive, and they planned so many amazing things for them. When their busses drove up, they were so excited and happy, greeting us with lots of hugs, and so amazed to see the ship. The first night, they had pizza and popcorn and watched the ‘Jesus Film’, in Malagasy. The next day, was the big day – they were going to get to come on the ship. I led one of the groups in a tour of the ship, including spending time in the wards with the patients, seeing the bridge, and enjoying some of our delicious Starbucks hot chocolate. They had lots of questions and were amazed at all the before and after pictures they saw. One of the girls had just finished nursing school and was in the process of looking for a job, so this was really interesting for her. After the tour, we took the girls to a restaurant to eat and then walked down to the beach. This was the first time seeing the ocean for many of them! We played in the ocean and bought each of them a coconut – another first for many. After that we headed back to the restaurant and had a pool party, and then dinner. After that, they headed back to the ship for a big dance party, but by that point I was exhausted and went right to sleep! The girls were incredibly loving, always holding on to us and holding our hands, and trying to teach us Malagasy.

Tinah blessed me with so much love!
I talked to the director and she told me that most of these girls were there because they had been removed from their homes by the government, due to physical or sexual abuse. Tragically, the government provides no money to the home, to help support the girls. She said their attitude is basically, you’re the one who opened this home, if you don’t want to do it, just put them out on the street to take care of themselves. The people who work at this home are amazing, and have clearly poured out so much love on these girls. Every month they aren’t sure how they will have enough money to take care of everyone, but every time God provides. They take care of around 180 children. Even though the government only mandates that they help the girls until they are 18, the director was telling me that often that is when they need the most support, so they have a house in town that they rent out and all the older kids stay there and go to university, which the home pays for. Those ladies then help out at the home during their free time. This is just so amazing to me! They are making sure these girls have a future and don’t have to turn to prostitution or crime to support themselves. If anyone is interested in learning more or donating money, you can visit their website: http://www.akanyavoko.com/index.html. On Sunday morning, the girls joined us for sunrise service, sang us some songs, had breakfast and then headed back home. It was hard to say goodbye – they were very sad to leave. On my way home I will be spending a day in Tana, so I hope I will be able to visit them again! The most beautiful girls you could imagine.

I have to share another amazing Easter story with you, that I was blessed to play a very small part in. Being a ship driver (which means I am allowed to drive the Mercy Ships vehicles) is a fairly rare thing here, especially among the short termers, who are only allowed because of their jobs. I am so blessed to have this ability and it has allowed me to help others and to witness wonderful things. We have a program where you can befriend a patient and follow and support them in their journey. One of my roommates befriended a plastics patient, and she has been here quite a while as it is a long healing process. Knowing that she hasn’t been able to see her 8 year old son in all the time she has been here, my roommate paid for the patients’ son and sister to come here and visit. She paid for their travel and meals, and found a day crew who generously offered for them to stay at her place over the weekend. When I heard of this, I offered to go pick them up (the day crew lives quite far from the ship), so at 5am on Sunday morning we got up to get them (that was a whole adventure – a story for another time). The moment we arrived back at the ship, the little boy was so excited to see his mom – he was crying and jumping in her arms. It was absolutely beautiful. I was so touched by the thoughtfulness of my roommate, and am really praying that God helps open my eyes to opportunities like this. I want to see how He is working around me and be part of these little miracles! I am so blessed every time I step out beyond myself, and I want God to continue to push me to do more.

On top of all of this, we had our Easter celebrations and services organized by the chaplaincy team and let me tell you, I was absolutely blown away by the amazing job they did. They thought through every aspect of the things they did and it was incredible. During the Good Friday service, the focus was the cross, which was set up at the front of the room and the speakers spoke and read scripture from the back of the room. They also had a cross laid on the floor of the room and they invited crew to come write down things that they wanted to surrender to God on a piece of paper and hammer it into the cross. Sitting there praying, thinking about Jesus dying on the cross for our sins, while listening to nails being hammered, was overwhelmingly powerful. On Sunday morning, during our sunrise service, standing there watching the sun rise and thinking about Jesus rising from the grave and conquering death, was equally moving. During our second service on Sunday morning, it basically turned into a dance party, as the worship team sang “Happy day”.  We sang and danced and clapped to these words: The greatest day in history, death is beaten, you have rescued me, sing it out, Jesus is alive. The empty cross, the empty grave, life eternal, you have won the day, shout it all, Jesus is alive, He’s alive. Oh happy day, happy day, You washed my sins away, oh happy day, happy day, I’ll never be the same, forever I am changed. I felt such an overwhelming sense of joy and peace! The last symbolic moment I’ll mention is that after communion, they invited people to come up and put flowers in the cross that was currently empty. This was to signify that the cross conquered death and is now alive. Christ is risen!

These are just a few of the wonderful, amazing moments that filled this marvelous Easter weekend. I couldn’t possible explain all the things that happened, but just know that it is a very happy day, because Christ our king is risen!

He is not here; he has risen, just as he said. - Matthew 28:6a

Seroga, Tinah, Tahina and Natalih - four of the beautiful girls I got to meet this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment