Saturday, May 13, 2017

It Is Finished!

One of our adorable patients, Ichaou, with his mom.
We survived. The last guests have been hosted and have left. This week Tiffany and I were hosting two overlapping VIP Vision Trips, which made for some interesting experiences. But now, it is done. And looking back at all that’s been accomplished this field service, it’s pretty remarkable. National Geographic here for four months to film a series that has already hugely increased the number of people volunteering and giving in the countries where it’s aired; a Belgian TV celebrity with a TV crew which helped boost MS Belgium’s end of year campaign; a visit from a pair of UK performers, one of whom wrote a beautiful song (Kissed by Mercy) which she is performing on tour as she shares her experience of visiting the ship; a visit from Dana Perino, and apparently the hit she did for Fox News The Five is the most watched piece ever for The Five (we recorded the whole crew singing her happy birthday the other night!); the entire international board of Mercy Ships visiting to have their board meetings onboard; Johnson & Johnson, coming to increase their partnership; VIP donors who made pledges in the tens of millions; and many other wonderful guests from all over the world. Listing it all out, it sounds insane. And you know what? It wasn’t us who did it, God did all of these amazing things, we were just along for the ride! I am so thankful for all the opportunities that have been provided this field service, to learn and grow, to meet amazing people from all over the world, to share the work that God is doing here through passionate, servant hearted people. 
One of the many ads for the Nat Geo series The Surgery Ship.
With that said, if I had to describe the last two weeks in one word it would be: exhausted. Although I took a few days off to recover from the international board, I was at an empty tank, unable to fill it back up. I wasn’t sleeping well, wasn’t really eating, wasn’t exercising. It’s not a good place to be – when you’re that tired, it’s hard to see past your own exhaustion and love on others. I relied completely on God to give me the energy to make it through each day, to be able to do my job well. Today, I woke up feeling more energized than I had in a while! The pressure of guests and multiple jobs is now gone. Now I have one task to focus on: Advance. Hiring 276 day crew so we can serve the people of Cameroon with love and excellence. It’s been one of the hardest things emotionally, to have so many current day crew come ask for jobs, and tell you their stories. To have emails come flooding in, asking how they can work with us when we arrive to Cameroon. To have crew members approach me about hiring their day crew, telling me why they really need them to come with us. We can’t possibly hire everyone. I just have to trust that God will bring us the people we need. I am praying that God would give me the eyes to see them.

The flood of goodbyes started last week as Will left to go explore Ireland and then head home. From when we first met in Texas when he joined us for Basic Training, all the way to our last breakfast together, I’m so thankful for the time we got to spend together, for his love of life, his spirit of laughter and adventure, and for all that God is doing in his life. Together, we drove him to the airport and prayed over him, sending him out to the next thing that God is calling him to. I have deeply appreciated these prayerful goodbyes. 

Jon, Ashley, Codjo & Papa Codjo!
One of the big goodbyes coming up will be saying goodbye to Jill, Ashley and Jon from the orphanage. I spent last weekend there, playing with the kids, helping them with crafts, and enjoying their company. I was too exhausted to be as helpful as I would have liked, but I’m grateful for the time because they shared some of their struggles with us. I am thankful for this deep friendship that we have developed. They are very special people and such an encouragement to me. At our Sunday service, Ashley shared with the crew what it had meant for them to be a part of our community, after having been in Benin for so long without community. Her words moved me to tears. God is doing a big work through them. I am glad that we got to cross paths and walk alongside them for a season. Our lives in Benin now seem to be intertwined. Jon came out for drinks with us on Monday, on Thursday we went out to dinner to celebrate Ashley’s birthday, and Friday we went to the courthouse to support them as they had their final proceedings for their adoption of Codjo. I even ‘hired’ Jon to take some of our guests up to Pendjari, the safari park where we went earlier this year. I feel very blessed to have been part of these moments with them. 

Divine and the rehab team having a dance party to
celebrate her final discharge.
I wanted to share a patient story that touched my heart. Some of the patients at the HOPE Center caught chicken pox and suddenly, we weren’t sure if they would be able to have surgery. There has been this lady named Sarah who has brought many of the patients to us, and spent quite a bit of time at the HOPE Center and on the ward, accompanying patients, visiting them, checking in on how they are doing, taking them home. I have no idea where she comes from, but she has been here a long time and you can tell she cares about the people deeply. As they were discussing whether they could still do surgery on this one little girl, Sarah insisted that we had to, this was her last chance. This little girl had been with us for over a month. I have no idea if what she said influenced their decision (they are medical decisions made with the safety of the patient in mind), but I was touched to see her fighting for this little girl. In the end, they decided, yes, they would do surgery. I happened to be standing in the ward when they went to collect this girl for surgery. Normally they carry the kids into the OR, but not this feisty little girl. She drove her little plastic car down the hallway, parked it purposefully next to the OR door, and walked in. So precious! The next day, she was driving her little car around once again, her cleft lip fixed, with a brand new smile to show the world. I love this place. I love that God is at work every day. I love that when we leave, there will still be people here loving and fighting for the people of Benin. These are the silent warriors that we never hear about, who toil in obscure places for years and years, giving their lives to helping others. I am thankful to God for people like Sarah. 

For in this hope we were saved. But hope that is seen is no hope at all. Who hopes for what they already have? But if we hope for what we do not yet have, we wait for it patiently. ~Romans 8:24-25

A beautiful shot of the ship, docked in Benin, taken by Miguel with his drone.

No comments:

Post a Comment