Monday, August 8, 2016

Adventures in Cape Town

The view from our berth in the port!
I have been so focused on preparing for Benin that I barely gave any thought to the four days we would get to spend in Cape Town. When the head of our South African office came onboard and told us that this was the most beautiful place in the world, she wasn’t kidding! Mountains, beaches, oceans, forests, this place has everything. I thought we were going to be busy hosting tours all weekend, but they decided to bless the crew by hosting private tours only. For the Comms team, this meant we were only needed one morning, to help host a group of 50 very excited nursing students. Other than that, we were free to explore!
We made it! We're in the clouds, at the top of Table mountain.
On Saturday, we climbed Table mountain, which was INTENSE. It was definitely harder than I thought it would be. We started out on one side in the botanical gardens, hiked up through the rainforest, up a waterfall and came out on top, which looked like a scene straight out of Lord of the Rings. We then walked all the way across the top to the other side, where we descended a very steep rock staircase down the other side. It took us about 6 hours in total, with me bringing up the rear – we had some people who basically skipped up the mountain. However, it was well worth the amazing view from the top! Once we got back, I got to babysit three adorable kids so their parents could go out and celebrate their anniversary. There was such a sense of normalcy to it, it was great. After that, Windsor and I had stowaway watch until midnight. I was glad she was there to keep me awake after such a long day – no stowaways on our watch!

Sunday was one of those unexpected days, where in the morning I would have never guessed where I ended up by the end of the day. We first went to church at a Hillsong church, which was interesting. After that, we had a driver take us to the Cape of Good Hope. We discovered it isn’t actually where the Atlantic and Indian oceans meet (that’s Cape Agulhas), but it is where a very warm current and a very cold current meet, so apparently there’s an interesting mix of marine life. The drive there was beyond beautiful. Along the way, we stopped and took a boat ride out to seal island, a small collection of rocks where tons of seals hang out. After the Cape, we headed to Boulders beach, which is home to tons of African penguins. They dig holes/nests under the bushes, which was so strange to me. We also saw baboons when we were at the cape, so it was a day of strange animal sightings. For those who love breath-taking views, I would definitely recommend Cape Town, I’m not sure I’ve ever seen anything quite like it.
Someone recommended to me that I read through Proverbs again and I’ve been amazed at the little things that God has shown me. Solomon instructs us to ask for wisdom and understanding, so I’ve been trying to do that. Indeed, if you call out for insight and cry aloud for understanding, and if you look for it as for silver and search for it as for hidden treasure, then you will understand the fear of the LORD and find the knowledge of God. For the LORD gives wisdom; from His mouth come knowledge and understanding (Proverbs 2:3-6). God has been pointing out moments where I was too hard on someone, or didn’t think about what that person needed. Times where someone was loving on me but I didn’t get it (I’m not a touchy person but I’m learning that hugs are a special thing). I listened to a particular person share their heart and understanding of God, for maybe the 10th time, and I finally understood. God is a good father and is always teaching us new things. My son, do not despise the LORD’s discipline, and do not resent his rebuke, because the LORD disciplines those he loves, as a father the son he delights in (Proverbs 3:11-12). I am so thankful for that. The pastor at Hillsong shared a useful analogy. He said his friend has been reading Men’s Health magazines for 6 months and was frustrated that he hadn't gotten in better shape yet. He asked him if he had tried applying any of the principles they talked about. The friend said no… It’s the same thing with the Bible. Unless we read it and apply the principles to our lives, we won’t see any change.
Let all the earth fear the Lord;
let all the people of the world revere him.
For He spoke, and it came to be;
He commanded, and it stood firm.

The Lord foils the plans of the nations;
He thwarts the purposes of the peoples.
But the plans of the Lord stand firm forever,
the purposes of his heart through all generations.
~Psalm 33:8-11

The view from the top of Table mountain.

No comments:

Post a Comment