Monday, July 4, 2016

Onboarding Week 4: Cultural Differences

We were divided into groups and told to draw values and
symbols of where we came from. I was the only Canadian
but thankfully Kevin helped me out!
This week was so busy, I’m not sure where to start! This was our last week of classroom learning and it was focused on cultural differences. Much of it was very helpful, such as knowing that when warm cultures say yes, it means I will think about it. The relationship is more important than the truth, and they don’t want to disappoint by saying no. We also talked about how these differences impact our views of money and that in African cultures, asking others for money (especially those of better means) is very normal, even expected. It conveys that that person has a higher status. The biggest takeaway from this week was just acknowledging that others are seeing things through a completely different lens and that their lens isn't wrong, its just different. What cultural baggage are you willing to shed in order to better fit into another culture?


Wilco was tribal leader based on the fact that he had 10 'wives'.
We did some interesting simulations to drive this point home. One was called the Loona tribe simulation. This was hilarious. 1/3 of the group was taken outside and told they were missionaries coming to share the gospel with a tribe. The rest of us were part of the Loona tribe. We received new names (I was RuJa), had our own language, underwent a tribal makeover and learned our history. Our tribe believed that God used to walk amongst us but then an old lady hit him over the head and he left. When he left, he sent evil spirits to our village and we were very scared of them. We wanted God to come back. When the ‘missionaries’ came in, they were clearly overwhelmed by all the sights and sounds (we played the part well!) and couldn’t figure out how to communicate with us. They left for a bit and then came back. You could tell they had discussed strategy and had figured out the language a bit. They asked us to teach them, so we did. Once we could communicate, they tried to explain Jesus in terms we would understand. Some of them did a better job than the others. It was a really interesting simulation, showing not just the importance of language, but also of understanding their history and cultural view before sharing your own. It’s really important to come in humble, as a learner and observer.
Playing cards when everyone has different rules!

Another simulation was one that involved cards. Each table received a set of rules and the person who won moved up a table and the person who lost moved down a table. You couldn’t speak. We soon realized that each table had a different set of rules. Some people didn’t realize this and would get upset or frustrated, assuming that they were right, even though they were new to the table. Some people just observed until they understood the new rules. I found it interesting that even though at times the table had more new people than original people, the rules of the table stayed the same. It was a good way to demonstrate the different reactions people have when encountering a new culture. We all view life with a different set of cultural rules and have no idea what everyone else’s rules are.

We had to complete our maritime safety course (which talked
about pirates) and then decided to watch Captain Phillips.
Three new things: 1) We have final projects we have to complete and our videographer Kat is (of course) doing a video. She asked to film me floating in the pool. Let me tell you, I’m the worst ‘actress’ because I constantly break out into laughter. At one point she asked me to open my eyes bigger and I gave her crazy eyes. We laughed for so long. I have no idea what she’s doing with the footage but if I make it big I’ll let you know. It was cool to see her in her work mode. 2) For our last small group meeting, Erin took us to dairy queen. We had some amazing laughs, shared how we were feeling and then prayed for each other. That was pretty neat. 3) They are getting us prepared for sharing our testimony at church in South Africa, so I got the opportunity to share my testimony with the group, while also having it translated into another language. Then they gave me some feedback about some changes to make. It was an interesting exercise.

One thing I observed: Spending Canada Day in the US was definitely unique. I had a lot of people asking me, what exactly is Canada Day? Like what are you celebrating? Is it like Independence day? It was pretty funny. But they were also very sweet too, some wearing red, I got a card and lots of ‘Happy Canada Day!’ comments. Tonight we are going to see fireworks for the 4th of July so I will just have to pretend that they are for Canada too!

One thing I felt God was telling me: This week we also talked a lot about the lies that we tell ourselves or allow the devil to tell us, and we tried to identify some of those lies in our lives. One of the examples was this: Your value only comes from what you can produce. When you stop producing, you are worthless. When I’m sinning, I have no worth. I think this is one that a lot of us fall into. The lie that came to mind for me was very similar: I have to earn God being proud of me, I have to DO things for the Kingdom. He isn’t proud of me just for who I am. Both of these are obviously not true. God created us and loves us for us. There is nothing we can DO to earn His love. Our works are like filthy rags to Him. What He wants is obedience. For us to choose to walk in His ways. In The Screwtape Letters, C.S. Lewis is writing as a devil mentoring a younger demon and at one point he says: Our cause is never more in danger than when a human, no longer desiring, but still intending, to do our Enemy’s (God’s) will, looks round upon a universe from which every trace of Him seems to have vanished, and asks why he has been forsaken, and still obeys. This is what we are striving for. That when we can’t sense God, we can’t feel Him, we don’t understand why these things are happening, that in those moments, we would still obey His will. That we would still trust that His ways are good. God wants us to be one with Him, but also ourselves. What a beautiful thought. 

Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever. Amen. - 1 Timothy 1:15-17

Getting together to pray for our field service in Winterton, South Africa. 

No comments:

Post a Comment