Monday, May 2, 2016

Week 17: The Not So Secret Church

This week has felt like that bittersweet moment where you stand on the edge of the cliff and are getting ready to jump into another new crazy adventure. I am so excited to see what God has planned in the coming weeks and months, but at the same time, I am sad to be leaving this place. I have learned so much in my time here in Madagascar, and have cherished every moment with these wonderful people. It always amazes me how adaptable humans are. The time here has gone by so fast and this very much feels like ‘normal’ to me. Greeting everyone you see, tuktuk rides, karaoke nights, walks on the beach, lemon ice cream, smiling patients, late night talks with the bunkmate, hikes in the middle of nowhere, and a constant stream of new people.

The next few months will be a crazy whirlwind. 5 countries in 3 months – Madagascar, Canada, USA, South Africa, Benin. With all the excitement of my mom coming to visit (she’s on her way here now!), I’ve barely thought about actually being home and now that I think about it, I can’t wait to see everyone! I couldn’t do this without all the love, prayer and support I get from my family, friends and church back home J

One new thing: This weekend, we participated in Secret Church, which was really cool for me because I knew my church back home was also watching at the same time. Mercy Ships got a shout out! Well-deserved because we got up at 1:30am to participate. There were about 60 of us, and we really enjoyed it! David Platt had a lot of wisdom to share (baby making anyone?) and hearing the testimonies from India was really moving. I think what struck me that most about what he said, was when he talked about knowing we have rights, but giving up those rights to God and saying God use me however you want. I think that’s a really powerful thing to think about. We have the right to speak our mind, but are we willing to move to a culture where we aren’t quite as free in our words, but are living out His Word through our actions? What about a culture where we aren’t considered equal, whether that’s because of our race or gender? What about the right to being alone, to privacy? Would we give that up, if He asked? Or the ‘right’ to eat what we want, what if reaching out to other peoples meant giving up eating meat? Paul gave up his physical freedom and went to jail, to show people the love of Christ. How far are we willing to go to reach all those unreached peoples David Platt talked about? Will we give God everything?

One thing I observed: I love when people organize ship wide events that allow the day crew and crew to come together. One of the crew organized a soccer tournament and divided the departments up into various teams. Every Saturday there are two games and people come out to cheer on their departments. It’s neat to see the crew playing soccer with day crew, and to see the day crew really in their element. Soccer is definitely an area where they excel. The food services team lost 8-0 last week and so when they scored this week, their fans went crazy. They had pot lids that they were banging together and they ran onto the field screaming. It was hilarious. The games are held at a compound that houses an orphanage and the kids were all running around, coming to take pictures with us, and just being silly. We played some keep away with them afterwards. Lots of fun all around!

One thing I felt God was telling me: I’m not sure if this is God talking to me through other people, or just other people telling me this, but lately I feel like I’m being hit over the head with the fact that I am a passionate person. Countless people have pointed out that I am passionate about this ship, about this country, these people, this work, joy, God’s Word, etc. I really have to pause and think when people who I’ve had like 2 conversations with, tell me they thought I’ve been a Christian forever because of my passion. I don’t even feel like they’ve seen me be passionate yet! Maybe my idea of normal Renée is passionate to people and my idea of passionate Renée is overwhelming to people. I am very grateful for this gift, and that God has opened up my eyes to this. It amazes me that even when I don’t feel on fire, or very passionate, I can still come across that way to people. That just confirms that it is all the Holy Spirit working through me. I pray that I would continue to use my passion for His kingdom, to continue to encourage others, especially those who may be feeling ‘lukewarm’. I hope that He would continue to use me, even when I’m not necessarily cooperating, or selfishly focused on myself. I’ve realized that the best blessing in the world is to bless others. God's plans are always good, and they involve us loving and helping our neighbours. This is good, not only for them, but also for us, because we are so blessed and filled up when we serve others. May we be a people that find joy in being the least of these.

He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God. - Micah 6:8

The little girl that stole my heart has had her cleft lip fixed! Praying for her and
her beautiful mama, that they would walk with the Lord and dream big dreams.


No comments:

Post a Comment